Tutor, she said


And here is a painfully staged picture of me awkwardly holding onto a mechanical pencil, because the one already pictured wasn't enough, apparently.

Recently, I have been giving much thought as to how else I can reinvent myself. Not really, but to an extent. I have fashioned myself as a maker of sorts (see my Etsy shop in the left panel if you are into clicking on links), now as a blogger claiming something interesting to contribute to the web of things. The "_lgeb__" book from the picture recently put a small dent in my budget, but for a worthy cause, nonetheless. I am, in fact, reviewing my old Algebra books in order that I might tutor high school math, and maybe later when I have time to review my Calculus books I'll tutor college math, as well. 


When I started homeschooling, my mom didn't have a curriculum or intentionally purchased textbooks. We had intentionally purchased notebooks and pens because our equivalent to Home Goods is OfficeMax. We salivate at the thought of a wall of pens. Ok, moving on!


However, my mom did have her old schoolbooks from middle school. Now, you have to stop imagining what you are imagining right now, because you may not have the right idea as to what a late 20th century schoolbook from communist Romania look like; can you see the low quality ink? the see-through pages? the immense amount of text squished into a paragraph and at such low font size? Yeeess, now you imagine more clearly.


Those old schoolbooks were a great starting point back then. And we upgraded to an actual American brand homeschool curriculum the following year. I remember how both of us, my mother and I were stunned at the quality of the textbook - nice, thick pages, generously spaced paragraphs, an array of examples, and most importantly well explained sections that would excellently build on each other. My admiration for those books holds on strongly to this day, and I am now the happy owner of those same textbooks. Not the exact copies, mind you.


And now I am off to reacquaint myself with some trigonometry, thank you very much.